A bright white smile and fresh breath aren’t the only reasons to brush, floss, and visit your dentist. Having good oral health can help you lead a happier, healthier life. It may also impact your ability to sleep well. There may be a link between teeth straightening and sleep apnea relief that could help people struggling to sleep.
The professionals at dntl bar put you at the center of your dental care. With years of experience, our dentists help you find an accurate diagnosis for your dental conditions and solutions like clear aligner services that can improve your overall health. Join the dental revolution today by making an appointment or finding a location near you.
what is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a condition in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts throughout the night. It can cause loud snoring, gasping for air, and restless sleep. People with sleep apnea often wake up exhausted, even if they’ve slept for eight hours or more. There are a few types of sleep apnea, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea – Obstructive is the most common type of sleep apnea. It occurs when the muscles in the back of your throat relax, and your airway narrows or closes.
- Central sleep apnea – This type of sleep apnea happens when your brain doesn’t send the right signals to the muscles that control your breathing.
- Mixed sleep apnea – Mixed sleep apnea is a combination of obstructive and central sleep apnea.
People develop sleep apnea for different reasons. Sometimes, it may be due to genetics or an underlying health condition. Overweight people with a large neck circumference may be more likely to develop sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can also stem from smoking, alcohol use, and certain medications.
the link between teeth straightening and sleep apnea relief
Growing evidence suggests a link between teeth straightening and sleep apnea relief. A study published in the Journal of Dental Research found that people with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea who wore dental appliances had significant improvements in their condition. The devices brought the lower jaw forward, which helped keep the airway open.
While more research is needed to confirm the link between teeth straightening and sleep apnea relief, this treatment could help people who are struggling to sleep. If you think you may have sleep apnea, talk to your doctor or dentist about whether dental appliances could help improve your condition.
benefits of teeth straightening for your health
In addition to the potential link between teeth straightening and sleep apnea, there are other benefits of having straight teeth. Some of these benefits include:
- Improved oral health – Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to clean, which can help reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Efficient chewing – Chewing is an integral part of the digestive process. When teeth are correctly aligned, chewing is more efficient, leading to better digestion.
- Reduced stress – Crooked or crowded teeth can be challenging to clean, which can cause stress and anxiety. Teeth straightening can help reduce this stress.
- Improved self-esteem – Having straight teeth can improve your self-esteem and confidence. You may be more likely to smile and laugh, which can lead to positive social interactions.
If you’re considering teeth straightening, dntl bar is here to help. Our clear aligner services can help improve your oral health and overall well-being.
teeth straightening solutions from dntl bar
Dntl bar is proud to provide leading clear aligner therapies, including Candid and Invisalign. Clear aligners help straighten teeth quickly and efficiently. Our team can help with your initial consultation and get you fitted for your aligners. Once your aligners are ready, you’ll wear them for most of the day, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
Clear aligners are made from durable materials and are nearly invisible when worn. They’re also comfortable to wear and easy to maintain. Many people who use clear aligners see their desired results in less than a year, though some smiles require up to two years of alignment.
learn more about dntl bar
If you’re interested in teeth straightening, dntl bar can help. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about our clear aligner services. We’ll work with you to create a treatment plan specific to your unique needs and goals.
With locations across Manhattan and appointments available on nights and weekends, you can get the dental services you need on your schedule. Experience what it’s like to truly be the center of your dental care. Book an appointment now.