With so much going on today, it can be challenging to remember everything people should include in their self-care regimen. While skincare routines and screen use timers are popular, it can be easy to forget that oral health is vital to a happy, healthy life. When trying to save time, many people ask, “Is flossing important?”
Want to discuss the importance of flossing with a dentist? Or are you looking for dental cleaning services to help keep your smile healthy? Dntl bar puts you at the center of your dental care. With knowledgeable, experienced dentists and appointments that fit your schedule, you can trust the services you need are at your fingertips. Find a location near you or book an appointment now to experience the difference.
good oral health routines
When most people think about self-care, they automatically think about their skincare routine. But just like the skin on your face, the gums and teeth in your mouth also need regular care.
start with a good toothbrush
Just like you would pick out a facial cleanser that works for your skin type, it’s essential to pick a toothbrush that will be gentle on your gums.
floss at least once a day
Many people brush their teeth twice a day but often forget to floss. Flossing is just as important as brushing because it helps remove plaque and bacteria from between the teeth that the toothbrush can’t reach. If plaque and bacteria remain, they can cause dental problems.
Mouthwash is a great way to freshen your breath and kill any bacteria that may remain after brushing and flossing. Be sure to use a mouthwash that contains fluoride to help prevent cavities.
see your dentist regularly
It’s important to see your dentist every six months for a cleaning and check-up. Your dentist can spot any problems you may not be able to see or feel and can help treat them before they become more serious.
is flossing important?
Yes, flossing is essential! While brushing twice a day helps remove plaque from the surfaces of your teeth, plaque can also build up in the tight spaces between your teeth. If this plaque remains, it can harden into tartar, which can cause gum disease.
Gum disease is a serious infection of the gums and bones that support your teeth. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss. In fact, according to the CDC, half of all people over 30 have some form of gum disease.
the benefits of flossing
Flossing is an easy way to help prevent gum disease and keep your smile healthy. When done correctly, flossing:
- Removes plaque from between your teeth and below the gumline – Brushing only cleans the surfaces of your teeth. Flossing helps remove plaque between your teeth and below the gumline, which a toothbrush can’t reach.
- Helps prevent gum disease – Gum disease stems from plaque that isn’t removed from your teeth. Flossing helps remove this plaque, which can help prevent gum disease.
- Keeps your breath fresh – Plaque that stays behind can cause bad breath.
- Prevents cavities and tooth decay – Cavities and tooth decay can stem from uncleaned plaque. Flossing helps remove plaque, which can help prevent cavities and tooth decay.
Do you know how to floss properly? If not, you may not get the full benefits of your teeth-cleaning ritual.
the importance of flossing properly
To get the most out of flossing, it’s essential to do it correctly. The American Dental Association offers the following tips:
- Use about 18 inches of floss, winding most of it around each middle finger
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and index fingers
- Gently guide the floss between your teeth using a back-and-forth motion
- Curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure to go below the gumline
- Use a clean section of floss as you move from tooth to tooth
- Rinse with water or mouthwash when you’re finished
Flossing may seem like a hassle, but it’s vital to oral health. You can help prevent gum disease, cavities, and bad breath by taking the time to floss correctly.
join the dental revolution today
Dntl bar is changing the way people approach dental care. We offer a unique, concierge-style experience that puts you at the center of your oral health. Our dentists offer a wide range of services, from teeth cleanings to clear aligners.
We know that life is busy. That’s why we offer nighttime and weekend appointments that fit your schedule. Book an appointment. We’ll help you get the dental care you need to keep your smile healthy.